Categories
Search

Archive for April, 2011

Rear Brakes

Friday, April 15th, 2011

One of the things I wanted to do with the car was upgrade the brakes. At one point I purchased the standard aftermarket mods for these cars aka Z31 rear rotors, S14 calipers and Modern Motorsports caliper mounting brackets – which is still one of the best bang for buck rear upgrades around.

Anyway after trying a few different things and combinations the final solution was chosen and custom fabrication was carried out. This setup was selected for a few reasons. They are as follows

  1. Close in sizing to the FIA approved rear vented setup that was used on the works rally cars.
  2. I wanted to have an internal drum for the park brake.
  3. I wanted to use as much OEM parts as possible.

So this setup is made up of the following parts

  1. Rotors = 284mm x 20mm and from a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IV RS.
  2. Shoes = PBR Banksia single shoe from Mitsubishi Magna TE-TL 96-01
  3. Actuators = PBR C5 Corvette 97-04
  4. Park Brake Cables = Standard Nissan S14 items 95-00 rear and modified front cable
  5. Backing plates = Custom CNC Alloy – one offs
  6. Park Brake Cable holders = Modified Nissan Pulsar N13 items (If I recall – I picked up a number of items from a pick-a-part from different model Nissans so not 100% sure) for the wheel end and a custom bracket for the other end.
  7. Park Brake Lever = Standard 240z/260z setup no changes required.
  8. Locating ring = Custom made to ID the rotors 90mm centre vs 68mm for the stock + this also was made to ID on the RS Watanabe wheels I am running.

So pictures all this work as follows – but would I do it again???? No cost a lot of time and $$.

Panel Finish

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011

Like the rebuild of this car – my blog is also slow going :(

What started out as a strip to fix the rust in the car has lasted about 14 years longer than it should have. Does not help due to project creep and me changing my mind on the end goal of the car. Anyway time for an update in the story.

So after the car sitting in the back of the brothers works for….well….too many years it was time to get things moving again. So selling off stuff to free up some much needed funds to pay for the labour and materials was in order. With funds at the ready the car was pulled from the back of the workshop and the panel finishing could begin.

So with all the parts and shell now to the level so the panel man was happy it was time to work on the underbelly.

With all the prep work complete the next phase in this epic rebuild was some texture coat/stone guard to be applied to the underside of the car. After a bit of thought and discussion it was also decided to put texture coat inside the car on the floor also. After stripping all the sound deadening off and not wanting to do it again (ever) I decided that texture coat on the inside of the car would help a little in this area + I plan to have good modern carpet underlay that will add to sound deadening. Not that I am too fussed about it really as the car will not have a stereo fitted – well that is the current plan.

Time for the chosen colour to be allied to the under side and inside of the car before moving on to the outside and engine bay. The car was original a dark metallic green. After the first owners slight off track experience the car was painted a custom metallic green that was a few shades lighter. I decided to go for a factory colour – green still. This colour was used only during the first 2 years of production of the 240z/Fairlady Z/Fairlady Z432 and given the new heart for the car in a sort of Z432 theme with a modern spin this original Z432 colour option was chosen. 907 is the factory colour code.

It was now time to work on the outside and engine bay. All this work was done in short time – amazing what having some $$ can do to motive the panel man (aka older brother)

Finally ready for the 907 for the rest of the shell

Bookmarks
Archive

You are currently browsing the blog archives for April, 2011.